Kolkata: That Srijit Mukherji’s Yeti Obhijaan is set to release during Puja this year is old news. The director is all set to visit Switzerland in the next few days to wrap up the remaining outdoor shoot of the film.
According to industry sources, production house Shree Venkatesh Films (SVF) has already signed the director for their next project, titled Uma. Srijit is reportedly ready with the first draft of the script which is set on the backdrop of Durga Puja. He is expected to begin shooting sometime in October this year.
While surprises are nothing new in every Srijit film, Uma will have six firsts in any film ever from the director.
Here’s what we have learnt.
1. Sara, elder daughter of actor Jisshu Sengupta, will make her big screen debut with Uma. Sara, according to Tollywood grapevine, has both the talent and the looks to play the lead in a big banner film. Srijit, in fact, has penned the script keeping her in mind. There possibly could not have been a better debut vehicle than a Srijit film produced by SVF.
2. Jisshu will play Sara’s father in the film.
3. Popular actress Srabanti Chatterjee (Goynar Baksho, Buno Haansh, Katmundu) will be seen for the first time in a Srijit film. She is likely to play the female lead.
4. Stage and film actor Anirban Bhattacharya (Arshinagar, Eagoler Chokh) plays a major role in Uma. The talent powerhouse too is a first timer with Srijit.
5. Former actress and Jisshu’s wife Nilanjana Sengupta will be in charge of the costume designing department in Uma. It will be Nilanjana’s first ever project in this regard.
6. Jisshu’s younger daughter Zara will play the role of junior Sara in the film.
Actor-director Anjan Dutt will work with Srijit again in Uma. His last film with Srijit was Nirbaak in 2014. Actor Rudranil Ghosh too will return after Rajkahini with Srijit in 2015.
Srijit said that he is yet to finalise who will play the main antagonist in the film.
With Uma now in the picture, Srijit’s proposed film with SVF on the sensational Bhawal sannyasi case, has been pushed to the backbench. Both Srijit and SVF wanted to cast Jisshu in the title role but had to opt for Gourav Chakraborty instead because of the former’s unavailability. However, the possibility of Jisshu returning to the project, has not been entirely ruled out.
Industry insiders believe that Uma is a redemption of sorts for Jisshu who badly wanted to play the title role of Ramendra Narayan Roy, the prince of the Bhawal estate.
Other Stories You May Like